Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Gangsters and Wanksters

So as I believe I have said earlier, Australia isn't really up on hip hop. Drawing from what limited things I've learned about society and things I've seen in crime in the news, it might be due to the fact that the idea of a slum or the PJs is just completely different here.

Other factors might be the fact that hip hop's primary demographic is an ocean or two away or that young Australians are just too up into their dance music at parties.

At any rate, it didn't stop the dorm I am living in from holding a gangster themed party back in May. In many ways, it was not dissimilar to the efforts or perceptions of the rural or suburban whitey of the US. Lets see how Australia compares?

The decorations seemed to be up to typical standard, with typical thug mantras and Scarface posters carefully placed in the facility.



Here is a memorial to Tupac, adorned with food offerings for his spirit in the afterlife.


The costumes were interesting. The white t-shirt look, the tracksuit, and the cholo look were absent, while it seemed that the Australian white-trash look was more prominent. Sheer ridiculousness was nice to see. An A will be given for effort.




The party was BYO, but I was very disappointed in Australia's lack of 40s. I mean really. The drink of choice was typically box wine, which does the job just fine I suppose. After a while the sharpie monster inside me burst forth...



The music started off as the hip hop hit parade, but slowly went from that to dance music because Australians can't seem to ween themselves off of it. Oh well, when in Rome, do as the lions do.



Peace out dogs, the actual sightseeing posts will start tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I might have to get "YOU DIE" tattooed on my knuckles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. /facepalm.
    That one asian guy all the way on the left in the 5th picture looks like he didn't even try ><

    ReplyDelete