Friday, June 19, 2009

The Royal Botanical Gardens and Bats

...or more appropriately, the Royal Botanical Gardens and Bats and Bats and even more Bats (oh my goodness!)

Warning, the first part of this post deals with the garden. Skip to the second half for BATS.

THE GARDENS. They're pretty much on the side of the city, and stuff. Not much to say, besides it was quaint. Tis the dead of the Australian winter, so it wasn't particularly colorful. Pretty massive for what it was, it stretched along the harbour for a good run.


Also, they had a Wollemi pine, which was thought to had been extinct for 200 million years until they found one in a gorge. They used to keep it in a cage, for the purposes of theft prevention or, much more realistically, the hopes that it would not be able to run away.


Do not play with the cycads.


There was also bamboo, into which declarations of love were carved. What, the Wollomi pine wasn't good enough for you?


Ok thats enough plants, BATS.


THERE WERE SO MANY BATS. It was crazy, apparently they just chill in the gardens until nightfall. It reminds me of my irrational childhood love of bats. There are some bats that chill around the tree outside of my window at night, but I mean SHIT LOOK AT ALL THESE BATS.

I MEAN LOOK AT ALL THESE BATS. I want to ride upon a giant fig driven by hundreds of bats tied to it!


I CAN stop here, because Australia is BAT COUNTRY.

3 comments: