Saturday, June 20, 2009

Nightmare Land

Oh God.


Oh God.


OH GOD.

I stumbled across Luna Park while perusing the downtown bay with some friends. It was always visible from most points of the waterfront, but I never imagined it to be this terrifying up close.


Its pretty much a typical old timey amusement park, with an extra hint of HORROR. The rides weren't too shabby, but the prices were a little ridiculous.



Interesting snippit I found off of Wikipedia:
"During the Second World War, Luna Park was a magnet for servicemen; both those treating their girlfriends to a night out, and those looking to meet someone. The park's external lights were 'browned out' in case of a Japanese sneak attack on Sydney, the neon lights were disconnected, and non-essential uses of electricity (primarily for ride facades) were curtailed. The influx of servicemen drew prostitutes to the area, and large-scale brawls were a common occurrence - usually between Australian home defence troops and American sailors on shore leave."

On a side note, I learned in my Australian history course that American and Australian servicemen would get into huge fights all the time. There was supposedly a huge brawl between thousands of servicemen on the streets of Brisbane during WWII. Fights were sparked over the fact that American servicemen flaunted their higher wages over Australian servicemen, and that American servicemen were seducing all the local women. This sparked the phrase, "Overpaid, oversexed, and over here".

I think only the third bit applies to me at this point in time...


Christ, I hate clowns.

2 comments:

  1. This terror park is clearly the best thing in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW WHERE MY DESTINATION WEDDING IS GOING TO BE!!

    ReplyDelete